- The blue bars in the chart show the US dollar (USD) returns, for a regional investor since it takes currency impact into account
- Different ASEAN countries were both among the top performers and the absolutely worst performers
- Thailand had by far the best return in 2016, despite massive events that challenged and are likely to continue to challenge politics and the economy
- Besides HK and China H-shares, the East Asian markets did well in 2016
- Both Philippines and Malaysian markets performed poorly in 2016, but the main drag on performance in those markets was that their respective currencies weakened a lot vs the USD
DISCLAIMER: This content is for information purposes only. It is not intended to be investment advice. Readers should not consider statements made by the author(s) as formal recommendations and should consult their financial advisor before making any investment decisions. While the information provided is believed to be accurate, it may include errors or inaccuracies. The author(s) cannot be held liable for any actions taken as a result of reading this article.