Skip to content
Learning that drives better investment decisions

Servicing the Thai Traveling Class

Watch the video with Andrew Stotz or read a summary of the World Class Benchmarking on Asia Aviation Public Company Limited.


Asia Aviation (AAV) is the majority owner of low-cost airline Thai AirAsia Company Limited.

AAV owns 55% of Thai AirAsia, with the remaining 45% owned by AirAsia Berhad (AIRA MK).

Asia Aviation's #stock has beaten the Thai #market over the last 3 years

Thai AirAsia is currently the leader among low-cost carriers in Thailand with a fleet currently totaling 49 aircraft as of July 2016.

As the Thai middle class expands and spends more on travel and vacations, analysts expect the company’s revenues to grow.

Business Description

Thai AirAsia operates along international and domestic routes. Among the flights operated by AAV, 62% are domestic, and 38% are international. The entire fleet consists of 49 Airbus A320s.

International routes cover cities across China, such as Changsha, Chongqing, Guangzhou, Hangzhou, Kunming, Shenzhen, Wuhan and Xi’an. Other routes include points in Vietnam, India, Myanmar, Indonesia, Cambodia, Laos and Iran.

Low-cost flights make up 94% of #revenue for Asia Aviation / Thai #AirAsia

Domestic routes connect cities, such as Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Chiang Rai, Khon Kaen, Krabi, Loei, Nakhon Si Thammarat, Nan, Phuket, Surat Thani, Udon Thani, Roi Et, Nan, Loei and Hat Yai.

Thai AirAsia flights can be booked directly and through third parties—travel agencies or tour operators—as well as in the form of charter flights.


CEO Tassapon Bijleveld has led the company since 2007. In the last five years under his leadership, Asia Aviation has been a mixed bag when it comes to Profitable Growth. The company moved from a #1 ranking in 2012 to ranking in the back half of the pack over the last four years.

Bijleveld studied marketing for both his B.A. and M.S. degrees.

Former Energy Minister as chairman and CEO is soon celebrating 10 years

Chairman Arak Chonlatanon has overseen the board since 2012 following his position as Energy Minister of Thailand.

World Class Benchmarking

Asia Aviation’s Profitable Growth metric was World Class in 2012, and is currently at #6, recovering from its 2014 trough.

The company ranks better than 560 of 1,400 large industrial corporations globally.

#AsiaAviation #ProfitableGrowth improving from disastrous 2014

Profitability remained below average at #6 in the past 12 months, but this was actually a positive trend over the last two years. Growth has greatly improved, however, since 2013-2014 when it fell to last place.

The Profit margin has started to recover in the past 12 months. It has risen to #4 from #9 in 2014.

Sales growth and Margin change have both remained solid at #2 over the last 2 years.

Would YOU invest in AAV? Why / Why not?

If you like our research, please share with your friends.

DISCLAIMER: This content is for information purposes only. It is not intended to be investment advice. Readers should not consider statements made by the author(s) as formal recommendations and should consult their financial advisor before making any investment decisions. While the information provided is believed to be accurate, it may include errors or inaccuracies. The author(s) cannot be held liable for any actions taken as a result of reading this article.